Thursday, July 16, 2009

hey man, nice tat

Tattoos. The notion of placing permanent ink under one's skin via needle brings up very polar reactions in people. Half are disgusted, half are in awe. Half think they're really neat on other people but wouldn't dream of getting one themselves (three halves- work with me here). Really, it all comes down to what the tat is, where it is, and how large it is. How far is too far? What is socially acceptable nowadays? I'd like to explore different tattoos and get your opinions.




image courtesy of CounterNotions

This kind of tattoo has been around for a while, though not many people today have braille tattoos. The skin is actually lifted due to something placed under it. In the image, the method is used as braille, however that was not the original purpose. Some African tribes would use this technique to convey one's religious beliefs. The old way was to place little bits of gunpowder under the skin, but now scientists have come up with more sterile irritants.


image courtesy of NuBlog and Photobucket

I don't know if the tongue is real, but it would be awesome if it was. I wonder if things taste funny..?

People are finding new weird places to put tattoos. Because in short a tattoo is a form of self-expression, the more unique the better. Of course, there is a fine line between unique and downright odd...

Because everyone idolizes their celebrities, once the famous started donning tats they became more socially acceptable in some circles. Here are some cool ones:



Victoria Beckham

Angelina Jolie

Nicole Richie

images courtesy of Hebrew Tattoos, Angelina Fans, and Boston



I guess people's opinions on tattoos all come down to the tattoo. (Don't worry, I doubt the baby's is real.)


images courtesy of Walyou and Popular Pics

What are your feelings on tattoos?









2 comments:

  1. I love tattoos and want one soon!!
    I'm getting a tiny batman symbol but idk where.
    I also want to get a small guitar with wings but idk where to get that one either. It'd be about three inches long and an inch across. I don't want any on my back because I want wings there, big ones, if I still want them when I'm thirty haha.

    ReplyDelete